Banana-Blueberry Overnight Oats
One of our main lifestyle goals when it comes to nutrition is to make sure to start each day with a healthy breakfast. When you're rushing out the door, sometimes the last thing on your mind is stopping to reflect on your breakfast choice and, as well all know, it's easy to reach for a quick muffin or donut with your morning coffee. By the time we stop to think about what food we inhaled that morning it's often nearly time for lunch. Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast sets the tone for everything that's to follow. It gives you energy and also keeps you satisfied so you don't find yourself overfilling at lunch. As for finding the time - the best advice we've learned is to plan ahead and prepare in advance.
Overnight oats are one of those great "to-go" breakfasts that you can make over the weekend, or the night before, and grab as you run out the door. If you’ve never tried overnight oats it’s basically uncooked oatmeal mixed with milk, yogurt, and your favorite toppings. The oats absorb the milk and yogurt overnight, making them soft and ready to eat in the morning. You don’t need to cook them, simply grab and go! These cold oats are a breath of fresh air for tired oatmeal and the beauty of this simple recipe is that you can mix in any kind of topping you prefer. This is one of our favorite recipes – banana blueberry overnight oats recipe in a jar.
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Topping: sliced bananas and blueberries
- In a bowl or mason jar, add oats, yogurt, milk, chia seeds and honey. For the milk add anywhere from ⅓-2/3 cup of milk depending on how thick you prefer your oats.
- Spoon 1/3 of mixture into a mason jar, top with bananas and blueberries. Repeat 2 times. Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight.